Coventry & Warwickshire’s oldest estate agents which has overseen some of the city’s largest and most important property deals is celebrating its 175th anniversary this year.
From its humble beginnings in 1843, Loveitts has gone from strength-to-strength over almost two centuries – despite suffering extensive bombing in the war which left the firm temporarily homeless.
Today, Loveitts is at the forefront of the local housing market and remains the only auctioneer in Coventry & Warwickshire, as well as the largest independent multi-disciplinary practice in the region.
Its 175th anniversary has been described as a ‘major milestone’ for the firm by Loveitts Director Peter Rosier, who attributes the longevity of the business to the strong relationship it has with the city of Coventry.
“We are incredibly proud to be celebrating this impressive anniversary,” he added. “Not many people can say they run or work for a business which has been around for 175 years. Over the years we have forged some strong partnerships in the city which has contributed greatly to our success.
“Loveitts has been at the heart of many property deals in the region and we are proud of the important role the business has played in helping to shape this great city.”
Indeed, it is a business steeped in history. Founded by Thomas Clarke in 1843, Loveitts has a rich and proud pedigree in Coventry with an extensive portfolio of landmark deals including the sale of the city’s Opera House theatre in Hales Street.
The company also facilitated the sale of an estate belonging to a Mr W Johnson, which raised £170,000 – thought to be the most expensive property auction sale in pre-war Coventry – as well as the auction of the Queens Hotel in Hertford Street, which stood from about 1879 but was demolished in 1967 due to extensive war damage.
At one point, the company also auctioned one whole side of Hertford Street – where the firm was originally based for many years before its building was heavily bombed in 1941.
Despite its own troubles and on top of its usual everyday workload, the offices managed war-damaged properties with a capital value of almost £1 million, including more than 50 per cent of the claims in Broadgate alone.
Once the war ended George Loveitt & Son partners focused on getting the company back on track.
The two latest partners – Mr Holbrook and Mr Cartlidge – had since died and Loveitts was now being run by Mr Greaves, Mr Loveitt, Mr Spencer and Mr Pomfret, all of whom steered the company’s expansion and Coventry’s post-war rebirth – including the development of the Allesley Park estate and the construction of Coventry’s new cathedral.
In 1954, Loveitts moved to its base in Warwick Row – a former boarding school attended by novelist George Eliot some 120 years earlier - where it remains today – before expanding into Kenilworth, Leamington and Bedworth in the 1960s.
Peter Rosier added: “With offices across Coventry and Warwickshire, our business has not only stood the test of time, but continued to grow and evolve. We now have a 60-strong workforce who have contributed massively to our growth and success.
“Loveitts is a business which continues to invest heavily, not only in new branches and staff, but also in new technology and additional services so we can remain at the forefront of the local housing market.
“2018 marks an incredibly proud year for Loveitts and as the business remains in a strong and healthy position we look forward to working towards another 175 years in the city.”